type mismatch for lookup column

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Hello

I would also like to say that this is a great tool.

However I am having 1 problem. I have a list that has a lookup field from another sharepoint list. The displayed field from the lookup is not the default "title" field. I have a spreadsheet which i am trying to import which contains the same values as displayed in the lookup field... When I try to import this spreadsheet I get a type mismtach error for that field... I can only gues sit is looking for the ID of the lookup record and not the displayed field...

Any insight on this would be a big help!! Thanks in advance...

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Hi, I came accross the same problem as well and I found a way around it.

For example, we have a Role column in both Excel spreadsheet and SharePoint list (called Representatives). The Role column in SharePoint is defined as a Lookup column which gets values from a column called Rep Role in a List (called Dict_Roles).

I transferred the data in the following way:

1) Define a temperary column in the Representatives List, called JobTitle. It is a sigle line of text field.

2) Using SharePoint Designer to design a workflow:

When a new item is created in the Representatives List, Run this workflow.

Condition: Role not equals JobTitle in current item

Action: Set Role to ID of Dict_Roles (Look up ID in Dict_Roles when Rep Role eques JobTitle in current item)

3) Use the utility to transfer data from Excel spreadsheet to the JobTitle column. Leave the Role column uptouched in transfer and the workflow fills it automatically.

4) Delete JobTitle column.

Hope this work for you.