Type mismatch between the columns

Sep 1, 2009 at 9:25 AM
Edited Sep 1, 2009 at 9:28 AM

This is a very useful tool. Thanks for all your work first.

I have successfully installed and run the tool in my SharePoint server. I am able to import a spreadsheet with all text format columns.

However, I got the following error when I tried to import columns for Emails or Web Page columns.

No. of Rows copied to SpList: 0
Type mismatch between the columns: E - mail Address at row 2

Basically, I defined a SP Contact list using Core Contact and Calendar Columns. The list looks like

Last Name      First Name    E-mail Address

Smith               John               john.smith@gmail.com

E-mail Address is a site column (Single line of text)

Also, I have an Excel spread sheet as the following. This spead sheet is set to "Text" format.

LastName      FirstName    EmailAddress

Bird                 Scott             scott.bird@yahoo.com

When I tried to import the spreadsheet, I always get the above error. I am in the administrator group, so there is no permission problem.

I am using this tool to transfer all contacts info from a legacy application to a Sharepoint site via spreadsheets in a project, but I got stuck with the Email columns.

Any help on this will be appreciated.

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Hi, Thanks for your feedback. Please add a review to this tool with the feedback you provided in this discussion, so that it can help others.

Regarding your requirement to use this tool for a email addresses, SharePoint saves email as an object with 4-5 different information fields. (Same is the case with person).

So,.. email/person fields though look to be single field types,.. have multiple required fields to fill in and hence this tool cannot support them.

If your aim is to just import email addresses to a list,.. create a new text field type column called emailAddress in SharePoint list and try importing into it and you shold be able to do it without a problem.

If the email addresses are already part of your SP profiles and you want those captured.. based on the field in the spreadsheet, then we can build a custom solution around this tool.

Please do let us know how it goes and if you need any other help.

Thanks.

Please feel free to contact us, if you have any specific requirements and I can get you in touch with one of our SharePoint architects. We are a services company with an excellent team of SharePoint developers who are capable of developing a solution for every need.

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Hi ramp, Many thanks for your reply.

Basically, I am trying to import to an Email Address field in a Contact type list (not a custom list), so I can connect to Outlook and use the email address in Outlook.

As you suggested, I created a new text field type column and name it as tempEmail. Then I created a workflow in SPD to set the Email Address field with the value of this tempEmail when a new list item is created. It successfully copied all the email addresses over when importing to tempEmail from Excel using this tool.

Also, I got this Type Mismatch error with Web Page field as well. The problem is the web addresses in my Excel file do not started with "http://". After I added "http://" to each web addresses in Excel via VBA code, this tool transfers them smoothly.

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2009 at 7:21 AM

Great to know, our tool helped you with your requirements.
This need for this tool and the motivation to develop it actually started when I had a similar requirement of importing contacts to a custom SharePoint list. :^)

At that time, we just created a job to solve the problem but later on,.. worked on developing the feature to help the SharePoint community.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:32 PM
Edited Sep 10, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Yes, this tool is very handy. Especially, it is able to add more records to a existing list. Otherwise, we have to create two DataSheet Views and copy records accross manually. Fortunately, I did not try this way with my 1064 records. Thanks, again. 

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:36 PM

I have the same issue with the e-mail, so if you do have a chance it would be very helpful!!

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Hi Ramp,

Thanks for your software, I loaded it up and it installed fine,

When I try to load an excel spreadsheet with a number of text columns and the last column is numeric (integer) I receive the following error.

No. of Rows copied to SpList: 0

Type mismatch between the columns: Ocurrence Count - Occurrence Count at row 2 

error and it specifies the name of the numeric column.  Do you know if there is a problem with trying to do this, or could it be die to the fact that the previos text column is specified as multi-line is the SPList.

regards,

Jum