Nothing there after install

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Hi!  This look slike a great tool for sharepoint thanks!  In the read me it says to run setup.exe - thre is no setup.exe.  So I ran ImportSpreadsheetToSPList.exe.  It found everythign, did its checks and said it completed successfully to the right web application.  Still howeever nothing is available in the Actions menu of the list.  The is no new farm feature that is activated or not activated.  Were do I go from here?

Thanks!

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Hi me again, so I tried just using stsadm to install the wsp file using addsolution and deploysolution and both times it sadi that the solution was already added and deployed.  So how do I enable this or if its enabled how\where do I use it?

jm

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:54 PM

One last thing.  So I repaired this, I've removed it and redeployed it to the server applications.  Central Admin says it is deployed but I just can't see where you actually use this.  I am assuming there should be an option in the Actions menu of the list but I don't see anything there.  Is it somewhere else?

thanks!

jm

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:19 AM
Edited Jul 3, 2009 at 8:22 AM

JM, My bad..  Missed to update/add a couple of thing to the readme file.

1) I changed the name of the setup file to ImportSpreadsheetToSPList.exe but missed to update. So you did it right by executing the executable.

2) Once you run the executable and select the farm or site collections during the installation process, this feature is made available but to the farm/site collection accordingly but in inactive mode. So, once installed, you need to go to the Site Actions >Site Settings > Modify All Site Settings > Site Collection Features (under the Site Collection Administration) and activate the feature "Import from Spreadsheet to SPList" feature.

Once this step is performed, you will be able to see the feature in Actions menu of the all the SharePoint lists.

I will update the read me text with these changes accordingly. Please do let us know how it works and any feedback.

Thanks.

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Thanks very much for the reply and clearing that up I appreciate it. So I got this going but I have two issues. First is that when I map all the fields and I click Import I end up with a page cannot be displayed 404 error – but when I go back to the list all the info does import.

Also, if I use a date field I get the mismatch error for the two columns. I tried a few different date formats but I couldn’t get it to import my date column.

Thanks a lot for this project – it really is the missing bit in sharepoint and I plan on using it a lot! If you can help me out with the above that would be aweseom!

jm

John McGivern
Systems Administrator

P: 416-496-0149 x213
F: 416-496-3910
E: jmcgivern@harriscomputer.com

1400-2235 Sheppard Ave., East
Toronto, ON
M2J 5B5
www.harriscomputer.com

This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is proprietary, privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete all copies of the message.

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Hi Again! So the date field with the mismatch was in actually fact due to not having anything in that field at all. So in my spreadsheet the date wasn’t necessary on every row and was blank. I wonder if that is just for date fields or if any blank spaces will are going to block the success of the import. I discovered this because the import will import everything up until the first problem record and then die and throw the mismatch of fields error. Once I filled in the blank spaces with today’s date everything went fine (with of course the 404 error at the end). I think it should check all this stuff in a preflight check type of thing and then report any issues to you with the spreadsheet before committing anything. If your list had thousands of records it would potentially be hard to find the ones it did import etc etc.

But I have to say this really helped me a lot to fix up a list before a deadline. Thanks for your hard work!!!

jm

John McGivern
Systems Administrator

Toronto, ON
M2J 5B5
www.harriscomputer.com

This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is proprietary, privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete all copies of the message.

From: JohnBoyScarboroug [mailto:notifications@codeplex.com]
Sent: Monday, July 06, 2009 3:03 PM
To: John McGivern
Subject: Re: Nothing there after install [spreadsheet2splist:61334]

Thanks very much for the reply and clearing that up I appreciate it. So I got this going but I have two issues. First is that when I map all the fields and I click Import I end up with a page cannot be displayed 404 error – but when I go back to the list all the info does import.

Also, if I use a date field I get the mismatch error for the two columns. I tried a few different date formats but I couldn’t get it to import my date column.

Thanks a lot for this project – it really is the missing bit in sharepoint and I plan on using it a lot! If you can help me out with the above that would be aweseom!

jm

John McGivern
Systems Administrator

Toronto, ON
M2J 5B5
www.harriscomputer.com

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (spreadsheet2splist@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email spreadsheet2splist@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2009 at 2:09 PM

John,

You got the problem right. The current version is not taking the blank spaces into account and trying to convert every field in the spreadhseet to the corresponding mapped type and throwing the mismatch exception for special fields like date types where the conversion is not valid. (text boxes and all take strings and so they passed the test with an empty string.).

Regarding that 404 error, I will try to look into that but currently I am failing to reproduce it on my end. Not sure what is causing this. I will get the deployed version and test it again.

You sure do have a great point about doing a validation before actual importing, with a message of the first error occurance, or give the line number of the last successfully imported row. I will see the feasibility of getting that added and update this. We will take this as a task in the Issue Tracker for one of our next releases. Will address the empty cell issue for date types soon and will get a new version out hopefully by early next week.

Once again, I appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Thank you.

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Thanks great. This is a really great addition to sharepoint!!

jm

John McGivern
Systems Administrator

Toronto, ON
M2J 5B5
www.harriscomputer.com

Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 10:09 AM
To: John McGivern
Subject: Re: Nothing there after install [spreadsheet2splist:61334]

John,

You got the problem right. The current version is not taking the blank spaces into account and trying to convert every field in the spreadhseet to the corresponding mapped type and throwing the mismatch exception for special fields like date types where the conversion is not valid. (text boxes and all take strings and so they passed the test with an empty string.).

Regarding that 404 error, I will try to look into that but currently I am failing to reproduce it on my end. Not sure what is causing this. I will get the deployed version and test it again.

You sure do have a great point about doing a validation before actual importing, with a message of the first error occurance, or give the line number of the last successfully imported row. I will see the feasibility of getting that added and update this. We will take this as a task in the Issue Tracker for one of our next releases. Will address the empty cell issue for date types soon and will get a new version out hopefully by early next week.

Once again, I appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Thank you.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (spreadsheet2splist@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email spreadsheet2splist@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com